There are many lists of the kinds of qualities leaders need. I have written such lists myself. The need for strong leaders is nothing new. We are always in search of leaders for our homes, education, media, politics, church, ministries, business… you name it. I like this list by David Ogilvy:
Qualities of a leader:
1. High standards of personal ethics
2. Big people, without pettiness
3. Guts under pressure, resilience in defeat.
4. Brilliant brains — not safe plodders.
5. A capacity for hard work and midnight oil.
6. Charisma — charm and persuasiveness.
7. A streak of unorthodoxy — creative innovators.
8. The courage to make tough decisions.
9. Inspiring enthusiasts — with trust and gusto.
10. A sense of humor.
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me.” Jesus