FAMOUS FAMILY RECIPE SERIES
RECIPE #7 CHOW CHOW
Chow Chow is a vegetable relish that can be eaten with about any dish from Pinto Beans to Fried Baloney to Grilled Velveeta Cheese Sandwiches, Hot Dogs…
5 cups coarsely chopped green tomatoes
5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion or sweet onion
2 cups coarsely chopped bell pepper 1 red for color
1/3 cup kosher salt or pickling salt
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed (or granulated sugar)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, cayenne or jalapeño to taste, optional
1. Combine the chopped vegetables in a large or bowl.
2. Add the salt and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.
3. Drain the vegetables and rinse thoroughly.
4. In a large pot bring the vinegar, brown sugar, and spices to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium low and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
6. Add the drained vegetables and bring back to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. With a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into prepared jars. Cover vegetables with the pickling liquid, leaving about 1/4-inch headspace. Arrange the filled jars in the canner and add more water, as needed, to be at least 1 inch above the jars. Bring to a full boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Remove the relish to a rack to cool completely.
Food Groups: vegetables and chilies
Serving: Makes about 5 pints and should last two people about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.
I don’t share these recipes with just anyone…
“Do not be anxious saying, ‘What shall we eat?’” Jesus